Friday, September 19, 2014

Mindy Should Be My BFF

In August Birchbox sent out the book Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Khaling for the Birchblogger Book Club. Let me be totally honest with you. I was... PUMPED! There are few people that I find funnier in the world than Mindy. Now I was not a fan of The Office. Maybe I would have liked it, but I just never got into it. Right before The Mindy Project debuted its first season, my friend and I saw Mindy live on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. She was SO PRETTY in person and her shoes were to die for. And she was funny. Completely and totally hysterical in a totally genuine way. At that point I had an idea that the Mindy Project would be good. And I was wrong. It's great.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns) is kind of like reading something written by your best friend. Or at least written by someone you really, really wish was your best friend. It's the story of who she is, the good, the bad and the ugly. And believe me, there was some ugly. But it's hard not to respect someone who has no problem laughing at herself for having a horrible boyish bowl cut as a child and lived through it. Now look at the girl. She is gorgeous! And quite the fashionista herself.


I could not put the book down. It only took me a few hours to devour it because I didn't want to stop reading it. And I was horribly sad when it ended. It was to the point that I woke Elliott up in the morning because I was laughing so hard reading it. Like full on laughing out loud LOLing. Even thinking back to some of the scenes now I could vividly paint this picture of her awkward little self in my head and I just crack up. I think for most of us we have been there but we just don't have the grace of Khaling to write all about it for all the world to read. She doesn't really seem to care what other people think of her and I think that's awesome. Every girl should read this book and everyone should follow her on Instagram. If we all can't be her real life best friend it's the next best thing.



The Mindy Project was so good this week. The dynamic between Danny and Mindy is so great. His stripper dancing, even better. Even though she isn't playing her self in the show, after reading her book you can tell that the character that shares her name is loosely based on her vision of herself in real life. She is a funny girl and she isn't ashamed of it at all. I can't think of anyone else that embraces their true self so wholeheartedly. 

Beyonce Pad Thai, you are my hero.



No comments:

Post a Comment